The Good Life

Bakersfield, California
One Jacob and One Nicole plus a Talia, a Tristan and a Tyler

Thursday, October 2, 2008

I love PBS

After being home so many mornings and relying on PBS I feel as though I need to do a shout out. I discussed this topic at a Sunday dinner with my Aunt Dayna and felt that the topic needed more airing out. Whenever there is nothing on TV there is always PBS. I don't have cable; I mean really with the Internet who needs it (Okay sometimes it would be nice but I would much rather have the $50 than too many channels) but I have watched some seriously great programs as of late and am a more informed person because of it. First was the National Geographic special: Stress: Portrait of a Killer. This brain scientist\professor from Stanford has completed a 30 year study on a family of gorillas and has determined that stress can actually cause a person\gorilla brain to die. Long story short the monkeys (I realize that monkeys and gorillas are not the same thing but I can't remember which that he studied) ended up losing 40 or so monkeys who ate tuberculosis tainted meat and the monkeys that ended up dying were the ones who were arrogant troublemaker males (i.e. ones who didn't play well with others -didn't handle stress well). I am really not giving this guys research justice just try and catch the program and simplify your life if you want to live long and prosper.

On a totally other spectrum is this new show called Sid the Science Kid. He walks around with this microphone and researches his questions. He even applauds himself. I think I love the show best because the kid reminds me off Talia.


My point in this lengthy entry is that I appreciate all those people who support it; I watch but have never actually pledged money. I have decided that I need to start. Now all I have to do is wait until that Suze Ormond thing comes on again so I can pledge and get that cool women finance thing for Aunt Dayna.

6 comments:

Sabrina said...

We also love PBS at our house. I just found that Target carries Curious George the series on DVD!Way cool! Now we can watch it all the time. Our daughters birthday's must be close, Raquel just turned 5 this September. Your little girl looks just like you! How cute.

Shelly said...

We boycott cable at our house too, but I'm on the computer way too much! PBS used to be even better when they didn't have Nat'l Geo channel because they put more of it on PBS. Great to catch up with your cute family on the blog! Come see us, too! Love ya!

Amy Coontz said...

Hey, thanks for letting me know about your blog?

Candice Lynn said...

I am 99.99% positive your link to Erman and Jessica is wrong, as it goes to a bunch of old people getting down at some restaurant...unless they've adopted some new grandparents while ours are in Australia.

Heidi and Rich said...

What's the Suze Orman thing? I too love PBS and the new cartoons on this year. Sid the Science Kid is awesome.

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

We love PBS too! Who needs cable? Sometimes I get annoyed by the liberal, NPR vibe they send off when politics is addressed!