The Good Life

Bakersfield, California
One Jacob and One Nicole plus a Talia, a Tristan and a Tyler

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Reading is Radical

You know I don't think people use that word enough anymore. Maybe it is for good reason but I think I am going to let it back into my vocabulary. Laugh if you must but it was the best word I could come up with that started with an "R" that fully describe my love of reading. I am doing my best to pass it on to my children. You can see from the pictures that so far so good. Tristan reads his books every day (he likes the cat one right now and threw up all over it today because he was so excited to read it plus he was knawing on it). Talia's favorite is her "Children's Treasury of Nursery Rhymes" that she got from her Aunt Courtney for her first birthday. We (she and I) have it memorized.
I also realized this past week as I was downsizing from my 10 boxes of school stuff that I haven't read a book in a long time. I still am trying to finish Good Capitalism and Bad Capitalism ( that one I "stole" from Brett Dobson (a fellow educator and an excellent one at that) and I need to get on it. We moved the day after Halloween and I haven't had a second to breathe let alone read. So I have decided to do a shout out and ask for any recommendations of useful, brainless, and\or must reads that you have. I love anything that is well written and have made a goal to read non-fiction more often because there are finally some more writers who have learned to write. Let me know so that my next library visit is fruitful. I normally go up and down the aisles trying to find something that sparks my attention but with Talia and Tristan that type of maneuver isn't going to fly. I await your replies.
P.S. Moving is Crappy

6 comments:

Amy Coontz said...

Your babies are so cute!! I just want to squeeze that boys cheeks!!

Urmston Family said...

Cute Pictures. I just finished the "Last Lecture", really good and it was a quick easy read. I too have been searching for a good book, so far no luck.

Erin said...

I love that word! Everyone should use it more often! Where did you move too? I agree moving is crappy. Since we do it every two years I've kind of gotten a routine but it still isn't great!

Heidi said...

Hey Missy...I just found your blog...yeah. I added you as my friend, because were still friends, right!? Your kids are RADICAL. I still use the word, so you are good!

We are moving too, we just bought a house, finally...yipee. So although I am SO excited I am NOT looking forward to the packing and actual "moving" part.

Anyway love ya!
HEidi & Fam

Shelly said...

Right now I'm re-reading "To Kill a Mockingbird." Classics get better with age. About a year ago I read (for the first time) "A Brave New World," written in the 1930's I believe - an interesting social commentary. I liked "The Kite Runner." I'm not totally up on all the latest 'cuz I'm not in a book club since we moved from Vegas and I sure miss it!

Kristi said...

I love reading, but that is just recently. I'm into the fictions, I guess until my taste matures. I suggested to Candice a while back the Inheritance books. I love them, but they are fiction. The series starts with Eragon and there are three of the four books out.
I think that you'd enjoy Ayn Rand (if you haven't already read her works). I've only read one of her books, but my husband loves her.