The Good Life

Bakersfield, California
One Jacob and One Nicole plus a Talia, a Tristan and a Tyler

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Talia's Imagination and Other Information

The Christmas season is here and I finally unpacked my very last "moving in box". I put the finishing pieces on my tree and lit my evergreen candle (I really miss the smell of a real tree). I made shortbread cookies last night with Candice. Tristan helped a little but mostly just tried to maintain control of the cup that Candice was letting him drink water out of. He is a strong old bugger. I have two things to address in this post first is to mention that it is really hard to have traditions once you move away from home and your whole family leaves. Continuing that feel good family feel when it is just little ones (who barely know what is going on) makes the holidays almost a sad time. I did my best to find the present everyone wanted but I think this year for me I have been fighting to not long for silly things like the ugly sweater contest or dumb old Christmas caroling. Please don't get me wrong I have much to be grateful for. I am grateful for my mother-in law for helping me continue my families tradition of matching pajamas for Christmas Eve (and Day). I am even more grateful that my children are happy and healthy. It is so fun to answer Talia's favorite question (no not "Do you want to see my new room?") "What do you want for Christmas?"; although I must say she keeps telling me that I want toys even though I keep answering that I want socks. I am grateful for family in general, I just miss some of the things that Christmas will be lacking this year...


On a totally different note: As we were decorating the tree this year Talia made a new friend out of my tree garland. I would like to introduce you to her cat. In fact she has now taken this cat somewhere that I can't find and now my tree is only half garland and half not. Personally I think it gives it some character. Below is Talia taking her cat for a walk.

7 comments:

Amy Coontz said...

This is really the one time of year that I REALLY miss being in CA with all the fam.
Hope you have a great Christmas!!

Dean and Maryellen said...

Traditions are such a big part of Christmas. This year I had to have some. We got a tree. Grandpa made me a cd of my good Christmas music and I have been baking cookies and taking to people. That helped a little. Hope you enjoy the great fun of little ones at Christmas. love you, Grandma

Heidi said...

I will have to send you our pictures from our sweater contest as well!

Matthew Urmston said...

She is so beautiful. You'll make your own traditions soon enough. Hope your serious. We'd love to see the 4 of you in person, here in Utah. Merriest ever. Leslie

Candice Lynn said...

I realized that I should have brought some of Grandma's shortbread to the Utah family, although I'm not sure it would have survived the drive. Miss you, Poopface McGee, and Tristan as well.

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

It is different without the traditions of childhood. I mean why lay out my Christmas gifts on my bed for cousins to see if they aren't coming over. Do you remember that as clearly as I do? Without the traditions, I'm starting to redefine what Christmas means for me ... that can be a great thing! I hope you enjoy your new traditions. I love the 'Talia & the cat' story. She's so cute.

Stake Camp Directors said...

We love you and wish you were with us. Thank you for the wonderful gift of the cutest, sweetest grandchildren we could ask for.